requirements for 100mts2?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jules Thuillier 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

bluertain
    Participant

hey guys, I have a few questions:

how many gateways and ceiling mounted cameras would you recommend me for a good quality tracking on 10 x 10 mts arena ?
    how many concurrent tags can be tracked in such arena? if so, can that limitation be increased by using more computers, cameras or gateways?
    I don’t mind having to a cluster of computers to handle the load if that helps to increase the max tag tracking limit (if any).

and finally, how does your tracking (on the suggested setup) compares to htc vive or oculus rift tracking accuracy?

thanks in advance!

Jules Thuillier
    Keymaster

Hi Bluertain !

Let me answer your questions below :

how many gateways and ceiling mounted cameras would you recommend me for a good quality tracking on 10 x 10 mts arena ?

Only one Gateway is required, but with an external Wifi router and an ethernet switch. You will also need to wire the Cameras. We usually recommend 1 camera par 5sqm –> 20 cameras for you 100sqm.

You might find some useful informations in our “Room Installation video

how many concurrent tags can be tracked in such arena?

Currently 8, we hope to get to 12 in early 2018 and 16 to 20 by summer 2018.

if so, can that limitation be increased by using more computers, cameras or gateways?

None of that can help. It is mostly software issues, maybe wireless issues also, but we are working on it. All current hardware receives software updates on a regular basis to improve the number of Tags tracking simultaneously.

and finally, how does your tracking (on the suggested setup) compares to htc vive or oculus rift tracking accuracy?

On the term of precision and latency, we are almost at the same level, thanks to recent updates. The last thing we have to work on is resynchronising the position received by the User to remove network latency (especially when the user uses wifi). We are testing a new algorithm in our Unity Plugin that we hope to release in January that will make the motion smoother.

Best regards !

Jules

Hardware Dev

bluertain
      Participant

hey jules, thanks for the answer!

so, can you confirm me this, with the product as is today, if I get:
      1 gateway
      20 cameras
      8 tags

I can cover a sub-millimeter relative tracking accuracy over a 10x10mts play area, with 4 concurrent players (1 hmd + 1 rifle each)
      is that right?

and a few more things, what’s the positional tracking rate? (not orientation, just the optical tracking rate without prediction or interpolation).
      is there a limit on the size you can cover right now? amount of cameras or anything like that?

btw, is there any customer running a big vr arena based on your hardware yet?

regards!

Jules Thuillier
    Keymaster

Hi Bluertain !

I’d recommend you to wait for the final version in January, with the Tag update. But yes that will give you tracking over 100m2 (with heigh enough ceiling of course), with a precision between 0.5 and 2mm depending on distance to camera, for 4 players with a rifle.

Tracking rate is 50 FPS. Our target for the end of 2018 is at least 90FPS with new hardware.

Currently I wouldn’t go over 100m2 as we need to test the wifi reception in larger setups.

No customer running a big arena right now as we only started shipping for that size 3 weeks ago (The system is in beta until January). Hopefully in February our clients will have their showroom set in Italy and Germany.

Have a great day !

Hardware Dev

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.