How to revive a dead tag (Windows and Mac/Linux)

VR Tracker : 3D Positional Tracker for Virtual Reality Forums Forum Software How to revive a dead tag (Windows and Mac/Linux)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Paul Yeung 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Paul Yeung
    Participant

Hi Trackies,

When my VR Tracker arrived in the mail, it came with a dead tag. By dead, I meant that you would turn the tag on and would not light up red (or light up faint blue) like the rest of the tags even when fully charged.

I’ve raised this issue with Jules and he’s advised that this is proabably due to the tags being fully discharged whilst shipping. I think there will be a fix in the pipeline but below are Windows and Mac/Linux instructions for reviving the dead tag.

Below is for Linux or MAC computers. I haven’t tested these instructions myself but for any Mac/Linux users let me know how you go. 🙂

1. First you will need to install esptool, this is to flash the Tags (https://github.com/espressif/esptool)
    2. Install the USB driver : https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers
    3. Connect the Tag to your Mac
    4. Turn it on
    5. Make sure the Tag is recognized by entering this command in Terminal : ls /dev/tty. if you see tty.SLAB_USBtoUART then you are good to continue
    6. Run this command from Terminal : esptool.py –port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART erase_flash
    7. Go to the folder where you downloaded both binaries
    8. Run this command from Terminal : esptool.py -p /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART write_flash 0x0000 blink.bin
    9. Run this command from Terminal : esptool.py -p /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART write_flash 0x0000 tag23.bin
    10. Turn the Tag OFF and ON
    11. Check if the Tag turns red and then blue (at least red means the software is correctly running)

Below is confirmed instructions for Windows 10 machines running Python 3.6.2. I’ve broken these steps up since my instructions are quite wordy (appologies!). It is assumed that you have administrator privileges to your PC and not using any weird virtualisation tools like Citrix or VMWare:

=== Install Python ===
    1) Download the appropriate Python installer at https://www.python.org/downloads/
    2) Install Python onto your PC. If you know what you’re doing you can perform a custom install, otherwise perform a full install. *IMPORTANT* Copy the directory of where it’s being installed and paste into Notepad for now.

=== Set up Phython to be used inside Command Prompt ===
    1) Press <Windows + R> key to bring up a Run prompt.
    2) Type in: sysdm.cpl and press <Enter>. This will open “System Properties”.
    3) Go to Advance Tab > Environment Variables button. This will open the “Environment Variables” window.
    4) Under “System variables”, look for the “Variable” called “Path” and click on it to highlight. Press the “Edit” button underneith to open the “Edit environment vairable” window.
    5) Press “New” button and then paste in the installation directory copied from step 2). Press “OK” to confirm all changes until you’re back at the desktop.
    6) Press <Windows + R> key to bring up a Run prompt.
    7) Type in: cmd and press <Enter>. This will open a Command Prompt.
    8) Type in: python and press <Enter>.
    9) Type in: print (“I love the smell of Pythons in the morning!”) and press <Enter>. If you’re successful with the above install instructions, it should print out a rather humerous message. Close command prompt and proceed with the next steps. If not, go back through the previous steps and ensure you’ve followed the instructions correctly.

=== Download and install ESPTOOL with Python ===
    1) Open a File Explorer window and navigate to the Python installation directory > Scripts folder. Copy the directory and paste into a Notepad document.
    2) Open a new Command Prompt window. Type in cd C:\yourpythoninstallationpath\Scripts and press <Enter>. To make things easier, you can type in cd and then a space, and then paste in the file path you copied in step 13).
    3) Type in: pip install esptool and press <Enter>. Python will now download and install ESPTOOL for you auto-magically! When finished, it will say “Successfully installed ecdsa…etc. etc.”. Don’t close out of Command Prompt yet. We’ll need it for the next exercise. If you do close it, you’ll have to open Command Prompt and navigate back to this directory.

=== Setting up before flashing ===
    1) Connect your dead tag to a USB port on your PC and turn it ON. Windows will make a sound when it detects it.
    2) Press <Windows + R> key to bring up a Run prompt.
    3) Type in: devmgmt.msc and press <Enter>. This will open “Device Manager”.
    4) Expand “Ports (Com & LPT)” in the tree. Hopefully you’ve only got one entry here – the tag you’re trying to revive. Note down the COM number next to it (for example COM12).
    5) If you haven’t made one already, create a Temp folder in your C:\.
    6) Download the attached .bin files and move them to the C:\Temp folder.

=== Flashing tag ===
    1) Flick back to Command Prompt and run the below commands. Replace “YourCOMNumberHere” with the COM number you noted down earlier.
    2) Type in: esptool.py -p YourCOMNumberHere erase_flash and hit <Enter>.
    3) Type in: esptool.py -p YourCOMNumberHere write_flash 0x0000 C:\Temp\blink.bin and press <Enter>.
    4) Type in: esptool.py -p YourCOMNumberHere write_flash 0x0000 C:\Temp\tag23.bin and press <Enter>.
    5) If your tag is now lighting up red, you’ve now revived your dead tag… Phoenix down’s for everybody!

If there’s any corrections or questions, feel free to post. 🙂

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Paul Yeung.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

VR Tracker Beta 1 Dev Kit User

Paul Yeung
    Participant

Revisisted my notes the other week and found a few errors and clarification. See below

=== Flashing tag ===
    1) Flick back to Command Prompt and run the below commands. Replace “YourCOMNumberHere” with the COM number you noted down earlier. If you’re starting a new Command Prompt, navigate to your Python > Scripts folder before running below commands. e.g cd C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\Scripts
    2) Type in: esptool.py –-port YourCOMNumberHere erase_flash and hit <Enter>.
    3) Type in: esptool.py –-port YourCOMNumberHere write_flash 0x0000 C:\Temp\blink.bin and press <Enter>.
    4) Type in: esptool.py –-port YourCOMNumberHere write_flash 0x0000 C:\Temp\tag23.bin and press <Enter>.
    5) If your tag is now lighting up red, you’ve now revived your dead tag… Phoenix down’s for everybody!

VR Tracker Beta 1 Dev Kit User

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.